Expand your english vocabulary by learning different suffixes! Suffixes are endings added to words to change their meaning. Here are a few:
-ize: To cause or make something become something. For example: democratize (to establish a democratic government).
-tion: To indicate the result of an action. For example: revolution (the overthrow of a government).
-able: To indicate something is capable of being done. For example: measurable (able to be measured).
-ly: To indicate something is done in a certain way. For example: slowly (done in a slow way).
-ment: To indicate something is done or has been done. For example: assignment (given as a task).
Add these suffixes to your list of skills and you’ll discover a world of new words! Improve Your Vocabulary With Suffixes
As a non-native English speaker, expanding your vocabulary is a vital skill when it comes to improving your overall language proficiency. One effective way to enhance your word knowledge is by utilizing suffixes. Suffixes are letters or groups of letters that are attached to the end of base words, fundamentally altering their meanings or functions. By understanding and incorporating suffixes into your vocabulary practice, you can discover a whole new range of words and express yourself more fluently.
Here are several common suffixes and their meanings:
1. -ly: This suffix is commonly used to transform adjectives into adverbs. For instance, the adjective “quick” becomes “quickly” when the -ly suffix is added. By grasping this suffix, you expand your ability to describe actions and states with more precision.
2. -able / -ible: These suffixes are often used to form adjectives from verbs, indicating the possibility or capability of something. For example, “read” becomes “readable” or “visible” becomes “invisible.” Learning these suffixes allows you to describe various qualities or characteristics of objects or events.
3. -ness: When added to an adjective, this suffix creates a noun that represents a state or quality. For instance, the adjective “kind” becomes ”kindness” when the -ness suffix is added. By using this suffix, you can express abstract ideas and emotions more effectively.
4. -ment: This suffix transforms a verb into a noun, conveying the act or result of the verb. For example, “develop” becomes “development.” By understanding this suffix, you can better discuss processes, actions, or events.
5. -er / -or: These suffixes are added to verbs to form nouns indicating the doer of an action or someone who performs a specific role. For instance, “teach” becomes “teacher” or “invent” becomes “inventor.” By mastering these suffixes, you can identify and label professions, occupations, or individuals with greater ease.
6. -ful / -less: These versatile suffixes are used to form adjectives that express the presence or absence of something. “Joyful” indicates the presence of joy, while “careless” suggests the absence of care. This knowledge helps you describe situations, objects, or people more precisely.
7. -ize / -ise: These suffixes are used to form verbs from nouns or adjectives, meaning “to make” or “to become.” For example, “popular” becomes “popularize.” Understanding and applying these suffixes widens your ability to express actions or processes.
By familiarizing yourself with these common suffixes and consciously incorporating them into your vocabulary practice, you can enhance your word choices and express yourself more accurately and dynamically in English. Active engagement with suffixes will not only support your vocabulary development but also provide a deeper understanding of how words are formed in the English language. So take the initiative to explore these suffixes, and open the door to a richer and more nuanced English vocabulary.
This article has focused on suffixes, and how adding them to your vocabulary can help you to enrich your lexicon. Take your time to become familiar with these suffixes, as they can greatly improve your command of the language. Investing in your vocabulary will pay off with every new word you learn – and each suffix you study may serve as a gateway to an entirely new world of knowledge.