Harness the power of suffixes and build your vocabulary power! Suffixes are combinations of letters added to the end of words that can change the meaning of the word, such as ”-ly” (quickly) or “-tion” (encouragement). Learning to recognize and employ the different suffixes can help you broaden your understanding of words and expand your vocabulary. Start by paying attention to the suffixes used in your conversations and reading materials. By adding suffixes to existing words, you can create new words with more specific meanings. For example, “run” can become “run-ner,” “ruption” can become “erupt-ion,” and ”encour-age” can become “encour-agement.” With a little practice, you can increase your word power with more precise and expressive word choices. Improve Your Vocabulary With Suffixes
As non-native English speakers, one of the key aspects of language learning is expanding our vocabulary. The more words we know, the better we can express ourselves and understand others. While learning new words can be intimidating at times, one effective way to enhance your vocabulary is by embracing the power of suffixes.
So, what exactly are suffixes? They are small word parts that are added to the end of a base word to change its meaning. Suffixes come in many different forms and can alter the grammar, tense, or meaning of a word. By familiarizing ourselves with different suffixes, we can build upon our existing word knowledge and communicate with more precision.
Let’s explore some common suffixes and how they can help us in everyday conversations or written pieces:
1. -er/-or: This suffix is often attached to a verb or a noun, transforming it into a person who performs the action indicated by the base word. For example, the word “teacher” is formed by adding -er to “teach.” By knowing this suffix, you can create words like “worker,” “writer,” or “actor,” which represent individuals involved in specific activities or professions.
2. -ful: Adding -ful to an adjective or a noun can create a new word meaning “full of” or “abounding in.” For instance, “careful” describes someone who is cautious. By using this suffix, you can develop words like “helpful,” “joyful,” or “grateful,” conveying a sense of abundance or positive attributes.
3. -tion/-sion: These suffixes are often used to turn a verb into a noun. When we add -tion or -sion to a verb, it indicates a state, condition, or result of the action. For example, “celebration” is formed by adding -tion to “celebrate,” and “decision” is derived from “decide.” Armed with this knowledge, you can create words like “comprehension,” “expression,” or “invention.”
4. -able/-ible: These suffixes are employed to form adjectives and indicate the possibility or capability of something. Adding -able or -ible expresses the idea of “can be done” or “worthy of.” For instance, “affordable” communicates that something is economically within reach, while “flexible” means that something can be easily altered or adapted. By using this suffix, you can expand your vocabulary with words like “irresistible,” “remarkable,” and “adaptable.”
5. -ist: Adding -ist to the end of a noun signifies a person who practices, believes in, or is skilled in a particular discipline. For example, “pianist” refers to someone who plays the piano, and “optometrist” represents a professional who specializes in eye health. Understanding this suffix allows you to create words like “scientist,” “linguist,” or “artist,” highlighting specific areas of expertise or interests.
Learning and applying suffixes to your language skills can be an exciting journey. Remember, practice makes perfect! Enhance your vocabulary by utilizing these suffixes and keep in mind context and usage when incorporating them in your conversations or written work. With time and dedication, your word repertoire will expand, and you will feel more confident in expressing yourself in English.
Now that you have gained an understanding of how powerful a resource suffixes can be in enhancing your vocabulary, you possess the tools to embark on your own enriching language journey. With every word you discover, you will build your knowledge and gain greater insight into how words interact and fit together. By taking advantage of the knowledge of suffixes, you have equipped yourself with a powerful language tool that will only increase the depth and variety of your communication.