What is Defensive Driving?
Defensive driving is a term used to describe a style of safe driving that is based on reducing risks and preventing collisions. It is a skill that requires the driver to anticipate hazardous situations, identify potential risk factors, and react quickly to minimize their risk when driving.
Below are some of the benefits of defensive driving:
- Safety: Defensive driving techniques help reduce the risk of being involved in an accident and can even help avoid them altogether.
- Cost savings: Defensive driving can also help save money on car insurance and repair costs.
- Route awareness: Defensive driving can also help drivers become more familiar with their route, which can make the drive more enjoyable.
- Confidence: Becoming a better driver can also help boost their confidence on the road.
Despite its benefits, defensive driving is not without its drawbacks:
- Time-consuming: Defensive driving takes more time than regular driving and may not be feasible for those with tight schedules.
- Fatigue: The extra vigilance required for defensive driving can be fatiguing and drivers may feel too tired to continue.
- Speed limits: Defensive driving requires the driver to adhere to speed limits, which can make it difficult to keep up with the flow of traffic.
- Distractions: Defensive driving requires a great deal of focus, making it difficult to practice when there are too many distractions.
Defensive driving is an important skill to have, as it can help drivers stay safe on the road and save money. However, it is important to assess the situation before deciding to adopt defensive driving and be aware of the possible drawbacks associated with it.