• Motivational – Motivationalize
• Thoughtful – Thoughtfulize
• Courageous – Courageousize
• Observation – Observationalize
• Enduring – Endurize
• Resourceful - Resourcefullize
• Adaptability – Adaptabilize
• Leadership – Leadershippize
• Dependable – Dependabilize
• Collaborate – Collaborationalize If you’re wanting to increase your English vocabulary, then one of the best ways to do so is to learn to use suffixes. A suffix is a word element, added to the end of a base word, that changes the meaning of the base word.
For example, the base word ‘walk’ has the suffixes ‘-er’ and ‘-ing’. When you add the suffix ‘-er’ to the word ‘walk’ it creates a new word, ‘walker’ which means a person who is walking. When you add ‘-ing’ to the word ‘walk’ it creates a new word, ‘walking’ which is used to describe the act of walking.
These suffixes can be used to make many other words. For example, the suffix ‘-ful’ means ‘full of’ so you could add it to the base word ‘hope’ to make the word ‘hopeful’ which means ‘full of hope’. Other helpful suffixes include ‘-ism’ which means ‘system’ or ‘doctrine’, ‘-able’ which means ‘can be done’ and ‘-ment’ which means ‘action of’.
In order to get the most out of learning suffixes, try to commit yourself to learning a few of them each day and keep them in your mind. If you can commit yourself to learning a few suffixes each day, you will find that it becomes easier to use those suffixes to create new words and further increase your English vocabulary.
In addition to learning suffixes, you can also make use of online resources. Try to find websites that have lists of suffixes and brief descriptions of the meanings of each one. For example, the Merriam-Websters website has a guide to English language suffixes. You can also find websites where you can practice using suffixes in context.
By taking the time to learn and practice using suffixes, you’ll be able to make great strides in improving your English vocabulary. Remember to take it slow at first and over time you’ll be able to use suffixes with ease.
You have now added some interesting suffixes to your vocabulary and bolstered your ability to express yourself in richer and more meaningful ways. With such a powerful tool at your disposal, you can reach your language goals and discover new heights of expression and understanding.