1. Gladness – Gladly, Gladder, Gladfulness
2. Fantasize – Fantasized, Fantasizer, Fantasization
3. Join – Joiner, Jointly, Joinder
4. Education – Educator, Educationally, Educationalist
5. Dip – Dippable, Dipper, Dippingly
6. Bubble – Bubbler, Bubbling, Bubblify
7. Hurry – Hurrier, Hurryingly, Hurriedness
8. Symbolize – Symbolization, Symbolical, Symbolistically
9. Accept – Acceptingly, Acceptable, Acceptor
10. Speak – Speaker, Speakable, Speakably Improving your English vocabulary is an essential part of learning a new language. Fortunately, there are some helpful strategies that can make expanding your vocabulary much easier. One such strategy is to employ the use of suffixes!
A suffix is a group of letters that are added to the end of a root word. Not only can a suffix help define the meaning of a word, but also it can change the word’s part of speech. For example, the root word “happy” means feeling content and joy, but when the suffix “-ly” is added to the end of “happy” it changes it to an adverb; “happily”.
There are a variety of common suffixes that can be used to form a new word and build your vocabulary. These include:
-ful: This suffix means “full of”, for example, “beautiful”.
-ness: This suffix gives the word a quality or a state of being, for example, “happiness”.
-ment: This suffix indicates a result or process, for example, “improvement”.
-able: This suffix means “can be done”, for example, “workable”.
-ize: This suffix means “make or become”, for example, “modernize”.
-ly: This suffix turns an adjective into an adverb, for example, “happily”.
Using suffixes is a great way to improve your English vocabulary quickly and accurately. With the appropriate suffix, you can change a root word into a new word with a completely different meaning. Another great thing about using suffixes is that even if you don’t know the specific meaning of a suffix, you can often make a good guess as to what it means. For instance, if you see a word with the suffix “-ness” don’t be afraid to guess that it has something to do with a state of being.
So the next time you want to form a new word, try suffixes! With a few simple suffix rules, you can significantly expand your English vocabulary.
So, there you have it: Vocabu-Lists! can help you expand your vocabulary exponentially through the power of suffixes. Put your newfound knowledge to the test and explore a world of word jumping, and you’ll be sure to master the art of memorizing suffixes in no time!