1. Evolutionsary – referring to progressive changes or development.
2. Rejuvenatory - having a tendency to restore vigor or vitality.
3. Propitiatory – tending to conciliate or appease.
4. Stimulatory – providing stimulus or incentive.
5. Inquery – searching for information or knowledge.
6. Communicatory – capable of transferring information.
7. Calcystic – pertaining to calculation or computation.
8. Matriarchal – controlled by a woman or women.
9. Vernacularly – relating to a language spoken in a particular region.
10. Artifactual – relating to an object made or shaped by human work. Improve Your Vocabulary With Suffixes
As non-native English speakers, expanding your vocabulary is of utmost importance to enhance your communication skills and express yourself fluently. One effective way to boost your word power is by learning and understanding suffixes. Suffixes are word parts that are added at the end of a base word to change its meaning or create a different word altogether. By mastering commonly used suffixes, you can broaden your vocabulary and gain the confidence to express yourself more precisely.
Let’s delve into some frequently used suffixes:
1. -able / -ible: These suffixes are often used to form adjectives and mean “capable of” or “worthy of.” For instance, adding “-able” to the word “understand” creates “understandable,” which means easy to comprehend. Similarly, by adding “-ible” to “flex,” we get ”flexible,” indicating the ability to bend easily.
2. -er / -or: When added to a noun, these suffixes create agent nouns, meaning a person or thing that performs a specific action. For instance, by adding “-er” to “write,” we obtain “writer,” which refers to someone who writes. Adding ”-or” to “instruct” gives us “instructor,” denoting a person who provides instruction or education.
3. -ment / -ion: These suffixes are commonly used to form nouns. “-ment” is used to show a state or condition, whereas “-ion” signifies an act or process. For example, adding “-ment” to “develop” creates “development,” indicating the state of being developed. On the other hand, by adding ”-ion” to ”educate,” we form “education,” representing the act or process of learning.
4. -ful / -less: These suffixes are used to create adjectives and indicate the presence or absence of a particular quality. For instance, adding “-ful” to “help” gives us “helpful,” which means having a helpful nature. Conversely, adding “-less” to ”hope” creates “hopeless,” suggesting the absence of hope.
5. -ize / -ify: These suffixes are used to form verbs. “-ize” denotes the act of making or causing, while “-ify” conveys the sense of making or becoming. For instance, by adding ”-ize” to “modern,” we get “modernize,” meaning to bring or adapt something to modern standards. In a similar vein, adding “-ify” to “beauty” forms “beautify,” implying to make something more beautiful.
Learning and recognizing common suffixes will enable you to decipher the meanings of many words, even if you haven’t encountered them before. Moreover, improving your knowledge of suffixes will assist you in expanding your vocabulary and understanding the context in which words are used.
To enhance your vocabulary with suffixes, practice reading extensively and make a list of words with their respective suffixes. Familiarize yourself with the meanings and usage of these words, and incorporate them into your daily conversations and writing. Additionally, using online resources or enrolling in an English course that focuses on vocabulary development can be invaluable in your journey to becoming an eloquent English speaker.
Remember, developing your vocabulary is a gradual process, and consistent practice is key. With time and dedication, you will notice a significant improvement in your ability to communicate effectively and confidently in English. So, embrace the power of suffixes and embark on your journey to mastering an expansive vocabulary!
At the end of the day, learning suffixes can be an incredibly powerful tool for increasing your vocabulary. So, why not give it a try and “suffix your way” to a higher level of learning? Adopt this method and begin your journey to becoming a verbiage virtuoso!