1. Strengthen – Add enthusiasm and vigor with the suffix “en”. For example, ”empower” or “strengthen”.
2. Magni-fy - Amplify adjectives with the suffix “fy”. For example, “magnify” or “simplify”.
3. Abilize – Make verbs into abilities with the suffix “ize”. For example, ”normalize” or “stabilize”.
4. Able-ize – Create adjectives that mean ‘having the ability to ____’ with the suffix “able”. For example, “adaptable” or “flexible”.
5. Er/or – Create actors with the suffix “er” or ”or”. For example, ”teacher” or “traveler”.
6. Ist – Include specialists with the suffix “ist”. For example, ”typist” or “specialist”.
7. Ize – Transform with the suffix “ize”. For example, “memorize” or “realize”.
8. Ial - Make adjectives from nouns with the suffix “ial”. For example, ”special” or ”essential”.
9. Ly – Add a quality with the suffix “ly”. For example, “joyfully” or “seriously”.
10. Ate – Make adjectives indicating an action with the suffix “ate”. For example, ”irate” or ”impetuous”. Improve Your Vocabulary With Suffixes
One of the many ways to expand your English vocabulary and become a more fluent speaker is by learning and understanding suffixes. Suffixes are groups of letters that are added to the end of a word, which can change its meaning or create a different word altogether. By familiarizing yourself with common suffixes, you can easily decipher the meaning of new words, construct your own words, and enhance your communication skills.
Here are some commonly used suffixes and the ways in which they can transform words:
1. -er/-or: This suffix is used to describe a person who performs a specific action or has a particular occupation. For example, a ”teacher” is someone who teaches, while an “actor” is someone who acts. By using this suffix, you can easily identify the role of a person in any given situation.
2. -able/-ible: This suffix is added to a verb or noun to form an adjective, indicating whether something is capable or worthy of a particular action. For instance, “readable” refers to something that is easy to read, while “flexible” describes something that can be bent or adjusted easily. Adding these suffixes to words can help you express qualities and characteristics.
3. -ment: Adding this suffix to a verb creates a noun that represents the result or outcome of that action. For example, “development” signifies the process of growth or progress, whereas “adjustment” refers to making changes or adaptations. By understanding this suffix, you can grasp the essence of various actions in English.
4. -ful/-less: These suffixes are used to express the presence or absence of a particular quality or characteristic. For instance, “useful” describes something that is beneficial or has value, while “careless” indicates a lack of caution or attention. By using these suffixes, you can easily convey your thoughts and opinions.
5. -tion/-sion: These suffixes are added to a verb to form a noun that represents an action, process, or state. For example, “communication” refers to the act of exchanging information, while “decision” signifies the process of making a choice. Learning these suffixes can help you understand and use a wide range of nouns accurately.
By learning and practicing these common suffixes, you can greatly enhance your vocabulary and become more versatile when expressing yourself in English. Here are a few tips to aid you in this process:
1. Read extensively: Reading books, articles, and other English materials can expose you to a wide range of words and their respective suffixes. Make note of unfamiliar words and their meanings to expand your vocabulary.
2. Practice word building: Once you are familiar with different suffixes, try adding them to words that you already know. This exercise will help reinforce your understanding of their meanings and applications.
3. Utilize vocabulary-building resources: There are various online resources, such as flashcards or vocabulary games, that can help you learn and remember words with suffixes more effectively.
Remember, learning suffixes is just one aspect of improving your English vocabulary. Engaging in regular conversations, practicing writing, and seeking opportunities to use new words in everyday situations will all contribute to your overall language proficiency. So, embrace the learning process and strive to expand your vocabulary every day!
Learning proper suffix use enables you to take your vocabulary to the next level. By understanding how suffixes work and practice using the examples and activities in this article, you’re all set to turn your words into powerful statements. Now you can make your vocabulary power up like never before!