1. Successfulness – The quality of achieving what one has set out to do.
2. Compassionate – Kindly understanding and sympathetic.
3. Gratefulness – Appreciation and thankfulness for what one has received.
4. Ambitiousness – A desire to achieve challenging goals.
5. Cheerfulness – A feeling of happiness and pleasure.
6. Creativeness – The ability to think of something new, original, or inventive.
7. Plentifulness – An abundance of resources or goods.
8. Connectiveness - A feeling of being united with others.
9. Rejuvenation – A fresh feeling of vitality and energy.
10. Passionateness – Feeling strongly about something and devoting effort to it. Improve Your Vocabulary With Suffixes
Learning a new language can be a fun and exciting journey, and English is no exception. One way to enhance your English vocabulary is by understanding and utilizing suffixes. Suffixes are letters or groups of letters added to the end of a word to change its meaning or function. By mastering the use of various suffixes, you can exponentially expand your lexicon and better express yourself in English.
There are numerous suffixes in the English language, each serving a different purpose. Let’s explore a few common ones together:
1. -able/-ible: This suffix is used to form adjectives, indicating that something possesses a particular quality or is capable of a specific action. For example, adding “-able” to ”understand” creates “understandable,” meaning something that can be comprehended.
2. -ful: When added to a noun, this suffix creates an adjective that describes the degree to which something is characterized by that noun. Consider the word “care.” Adding “-ful” forms the adjective “careful,” implying a high level of caution or thoughtfulness.
3. -ify/-ize: These suffixes transform a noun or adjective into a verb, indicating the act of making or becoming something. For instance, adding “-ify” to “beauty” results in “beautify,” which means to make something beautiful. Likewise, adding “-ize” to “modern” creates “modernize,” conveying the process of bringing something up-to-date.
4. -ness: When attached to an adjective or noun, this suffix forms a noun that represents a state, quality, or condition. Take the word “happy,” for example. By adding “-ness,” it becomes “happiness,” indicating the state of being content or joyful.
5. -ment: This suffix is commonly used to form nouns that represent an action or result. Adding “-ment” to the verb “achieve” transforms it into the noun “achievement,” signifying the act or process of accomplishing something.
By understanding the functions of these and other suffixes, you can confidently decipher the meaning of unfamiliar words in context. Additionally, you can creatively build your vocabulary by using known words as a base and experimenting with different suffixes to generate new terms.
To practice incorporating suffixes into your everyday English, consider reading books, articles, or online resources that expose you to a wide range of vocabulary. Pay attention to the words used and try to identify any suffixes present. This exercise will not only improve your understanding of suffixes but also help you become a more adept reader and communicator.
Furthermore, challenge yourself to actively incorporate newly learned words with suffixes into your spoken and written English. Engage in conversations, write journal entries, or engage in language exchange activities, allowing you to practice using these words in real-life situations.
Remember, building your vocabulary is an ongoing process, and incorporating suffixes is just one way to make that process more exciting and fruitful. So, embrace the power of suffixes, unlock the potential of your vocabulary, and watch your English skills flourish. Happy learning!
What better way is there to expand your vocabulary and master positive growth than by exploring the world of suffixes? Now that you have a deeper understanding of why suffixes are so important, you’ll be able to confidently use them to enrich your speech and writing. With practice and patience, you’ll soon be mastering more positive vocabulary growth!