Connect the Roots: Expand Your Vocabulary with Suffixes
Activate: Activation, Activator
Warrant:Warranty, Warranties Are you trying to improve your English vocabulary? If so, then understanding suffixes can be a powerful tool that can help you to increase your fluency.
Suffixes are the part at the end of a word that is used to change its meaning. There are many different kinds of suffixes, all of which can help you to add to your English vocabulary. Let’s look at some of the most common ones.
1. -able/-ible. This one is added to some verbs to describe things that are possible or able to be done. For example, “advisable”, “edible”, and “readable”.
2. -ment. This one is used to indicate the action or the result of an action. For example, “movement”, “government”, and “judgment”.
3. -ity/-ty. This kind of suffix indicates a state of being or a quality. For example, “mobility”, “security”, and “humility”.
4. -ness. This is also used to indicate a state of being. For example, “happiness”, “trustworthiness”, and “weakness”.
5. -er/-or. These are often used to indicate a person who does an action. For example, “teacher”, “actor”, and “worker”.
Learning to how to use suffixes is a great way to increase your English vocabulary. Knowing the various kinds of suffixes can help you to understand different words and how they can be used in different contexts. So give it a try and see for yourself!
Whether you’re an aspiring lexicographer or just looking to expand your lingual horizons, expanding your vocabulary with suffixes can open up a new world of vocabulary. With a newfound awareness of the power of these linguistic additions, you’re sure to find yourself impressed by the breath of words and understanding. So don your thinking cap and get to connecting the roots – for every suffix you learn, your lexicon is bound to expand!