Harness the power of suffixes to boost your knowledge! With just a few clicks of the keyboard, you can easily understand new words and even create sophisticated new terms. Suffixes are powerful tools that can make a significant difference in your understanding of the English language. Looking up a basic word and adding a suffix can help you increase your vocabulary and enhance your comprehension. So take advantage of the power of suffixes and boost your knowledge today! Improve Your Vocabulary With Suffixes
As a non-English speaker, expanding your vocabulary is a key step towards becoming more proficient in the English language. One effective way to enhance your word power is by learning and understanding suffixes.
A suffix is a word part that is added at the end of a word to create a new word with a different meaning. By familiarizing yourself with common suffixes, you can easily decode unfamiliar words and infer their meanings. Let’s explore some commonly used suffixes and their meanings to give you a head start in broadening your vocabulary.
1. -er/-or: This suffix is often added to verbs to create a noun representing a person or thing that performs an action. For example, a teacher is someone who teaches, and an actor is someone who acts.
2. -able/-ible: Adding this suffix to a base word creates an adjective that indicates the possibility or capability of something. For instance, if something is breakable, it can be broken.
3. -ment: This suffix transforms a verb into a noun, representing the result or product of the action. For instance, the word “development” refers to the act of developing or the state of being developed.
4. -ness: By adding this suffix to an adjective, we can create a noun that represents a quality or state. For example, happiness refers to the state of being happy.
5. -tion/-sion: These suffixes are commonly used to convert a verb into a noun, indicating an action or process. For instance, the word “translation” refers to the act of translating from one language to another.
6. -ful: Adding this suffix to a noun creates an adjective that describes a state of being full. For example, if something is joyful, it means it is full of joy.
7. -ly: This suffix is used to transform an adjective into an adverb, indicating how something is done. For instance, if someone speaks quickly, it means they are speaking with speed.
By becoming familiar with these suffixes, you can easily analyze and decipher new words you come across in your English language journey. Additionally, learning the meaning and usage of suffixes will enable you to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely in both written and spoken English.
To practice using suffixes, you can engage in activities such as word puzzles, reading books or articles that incorporate new vocabulary, and writing exercises that require you to apply suffixes to base words. You may also find it helpful to keep a vocabulary notebook or use vocabulary-building apps to record and review new words regularly.
Remember, building your vocabulary takes time and practice. By mastering common suffixes, you will be equipped with valuable tools to decode and comprehend new words efficiently. This will not only enhance your language skills but also boost your confidence as you navigate the English-speaking world. So, let’s embrace suffixes and take our vocabulary to new heights!
It isn’t often that we think about the power of suffixes, but these little word enhancements are truly incredible tools for boosting our language knowledge. Invest the effort to better understand all the ways you can use suffixes and you can turn your grammar into an outstanding gift to be proud of.