Star South African athlete Caster Semenya has pleaded guilty to a charge of reckless driving and will perform 50 hours of community service.

READ | PROUDLY SA: VELDSKOEN ON BOARD AS SPONSORS OF TEAM SA

The 30-year-old double 800m Olympic champion appeared at the Pretoria magistrate’s court last week after being arrested for allegedly driving recklessly in her SUV in Lyttelton, Centurion on the N14 highway. 

“She was granted bail of R500,” said North Gauteng National Prosecuting Authority spokesperson Lumka Mahanjana.

According to Netwerk24, the case was postponed to August 26 for a report from the National Institute for Crime Prevention and the Reintegration of Offenders (Nicro).

“She pleaded guilty to the charge,” Mahanjana said.

READ | GERDA STEYN BREAKS SA MARATHON RECORD, BOOKS TOKYO OLYMPICS SPOT

After assessment, it was decided she should perform 50 hours of community service.

Last month, Caster Semenya retained her 5 000m title at the SA athletics championships in Pretoria.

She is currently banned from competing in her favoured 800m and 1 500m distances having elected not to take hormone-suppressing drugs to lower her natural levels of testosterone.

READ | MR PRICE SPORT TO DRESS TEAM SA AT TOKYO OLYMPICS AND PARALYMPICS

An appeal against that hearing will be heard on an unconfirmed date at the European Court of Human Rights.

The delayed 2020 Tokyo Olympics are now scheduled for 23 July to 8 August this year.

The only options available to Semenya are the 200m and 5 000m – neither of which are likely to result in a medal.

READ | SA SAILING DUO PUNCH THEIR TICKET TO TOKYO