Express. Home of the Daily and Sunday Express. PRINCESS CHARLENE of Monaco has left hospital in South Africa after collapsing last week, the palace has announced. Princess Charlene celebrates 10th wedding anniversary Sign up for FREE now and never miss the top Royal stories again.
We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info
The Princess of Monaco, 43, was admitted to hospital on Wednesday and underwent treatment for an ear, nose and throat infection. Charlene collapsed due to complications from her condition before being admitted last week, but palace officials have stated that it is not a cause for concern.
“On the night of September 1, Her Serene Highness Princess Charlene of Monaco was taken to hospital after becoming ill due to complications from a serious ENT infection,” the palace shared in a statement to PEOPLE.
“Her Highness is being closely followed by her medical team, who say her condition is reassuring.”
She was rushed to the hospital north of Durban on Wednesday, but the royal was reportedly due to undergo a scheduled second surgery for the condition on the same day.
The princess underwent her first procedure last month.
READ MORE: Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s children expecting new playmate
Charlene collapsed due to complications from her condition before being admitted last week (Image: Getty)
The royal was rushed to a hospital north of Durban, Netcare Alberlito Hospital (Image: Getty)
While working in South Africa on conservation and anti-poaching campaigns, Charlene fell ill with the infection.
She hasn’t been able to return to Monaco since her ear pressure will not equalise.
Recently, Prince Albert said Charlene may be able to return to Monaco as early as this month if her condition remains stable, according to People.
Charlene had been staying at the Thanda Game Reserve when the medical emergency occurred and was rushed to a hospital north of Durban, Netcare Alberlito Hospital, 150 miles from the reserve.
Her husband said that the princess is “eager” to return home and reunite with her family, according to PEOPLE.
Prince Albert said that the princess is “eager” to return home and reunite with her family (Image: Getty)
She has remained in South Africa since mid-May.
“She’s ready to come home,” Albert told PEOPLE.
“I know she’s said possibly late October, but that was before this most recent round of appointments.
“I’m pretty sure we can cut that time frame a little short.
“She’s jokingly said that she’s ready to stowaway on a ship to come back to Europe.”